Sugavasi ( சுகவாசி)

Life is good. In fact, it has never been so good, and it has been one hell of a ride so far. Every point in life throws up a "heads or tails" and I have almost always made the wrong choice.... But, I don't get what I choose and instead end up getting much more than what I wanted. Call it divine intervention...call it luck...here I am living my dream. I am very grateful and am totally at peace.

The trouble with BUSH

Our clock at home stopped working. Tried changing batteries with no response from the clock. It insisted that the time was 12:30 midnight. My wife Yamuna is the tool man at home. I am mechanically challenged. My part in solving any such problem is restricted to providing moral support. She firmly believes that she can solve any problem from Cars to HDTVs if she can get to view it's innards and get to work on it.
True to form, she took the clock apart. Little pieces of small gears, tiny springs, and weird plastic parts lay strewn about. The only parts I recognized were the battery, the hour and the minute hand.

A long time ago in a faraway land...actually on a hot humid afternoon in Chennai, I was sitting in our living room, looking at our radio willing it to work. I must have been eight or nine years old. We lived in a single tenement (ஒண்டிகுடுத்தனம்) in a row of houses.
It was a BUSH radio made of solid wood, lovingly varnished with 2 big dials. I was frantically turning the dial letting the pointer traverse from one end of the frequency spectrum to the other.. Nothing... Just an irritatingly high static.
I ran to the toolbox and got the screwdriver. I hefted the radio onto the floor, turned it around and unscrewed the back panel of the radio. The interior was a jumble of wires, valves and circuit boards coated with a fine sheet of dust. My palms were all sweaty with excitement. For the next hour, I adventurously took apart every piece of the radio's internal parts.
Then suddenly panic hit me. How am I going to put it all together? I turned the radio around, switched it on and tried the dial one more time. No music.
I went to the kitchen with a worried look on my face. I was looking for anything that would solve my dilemma. I found a yellow cloth bag (மஞ்ஞப்பை) from "Ananda Hardware". I grabbed it, returned and scooped up all the parts into the bag. I tied it securely, stuffed it into the radio and screwed the back panel on.
My father concerned that radio was dead, called a mechanic. I started to sweat. The whole family was there in the living room waiting for the mechanic to work his magic.
You should have seen the look on his face when he unscrewed the back panel off and peeked at the contents.

I walked to my wife with a yellow bag, a smile on my face.

4 மறுமொழிகள்:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Srikanth Meenakshi said...

:-) Funny...you are very similar to the current Bush, who is also very adept at taking things apart, but not so equally skilled at putting them back together...

 

At 6:51 PM, Blogger SKR Inc. said...

Great story albeit with a quantum jump in the middle between present and future. Loved the description of the old days.

Kumar

 

At 10:09 PM, Blogger Uma said...

Dint even know that happened..Mom told me later on..

Sis

 

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Sabarish Sasidharan said...

Hahaha, that is one funny anecdote.

 

Post a Comment

<< முகப்பு